A Quiz about something, anything, everything

Fragment theatre fundraiser!

“A key skill for any producer is the ability to be able to put together a budget that accurately reflects the cost of putting on a show” (Seabright, 2010, 31). Recent discussions within our group have taken place, this discussion involved the topic of set and props within our show. To create the aesthetic we desire (which will be revealed in due course) we are planning on having a large set, this large set includes scaffolding along the entirety of the back of the stage, alongside televisions that will be used throughout the show.

Now, for such extravagant set, we are probably going to need an extravagant budget. Which is where my role comes in to play as the producer of Fragment Theatre Company.

After brainstorming a few ideas, some a little bit too adventurous for our own good (including a fun day with bouncy castles and a horse, ridiculous, I know!) I finally came up with the idea of a pub quiz, not quite as exiting but it could still work.

With this is mind I set out looking for venue to host our quiz. After a few options I settled on the University of Lincoln’s student pub, The Swan. The swan was the cheapest option with the most potential of having a large crowd of willing participants.

I set a date for the quiz, that being the 14th March 2017. Which gave me two weeks in-between to organise everything. First thing first, I needed to create a poster for the quiz, to advertise around the university campus…

(D’Arcy,2017).No automatic alt text available.

I chose a black and white poster for two reasons, number one being that it was an awful lot cheaper to print, and reason number two was because everyone has bright and colourful posters on the university notice boards and I thought that maybe, in a weird way ,by making the poster black and white it would stand out against the colourful posters!

Within the quiz I designated every member of the group to write a round, so the whole cast was involved with the process.

Each member who came to the quiz was charged £2 to enter, with maximum teams of six (This was because the winning team won 6 Tickets to our show)and a hamper of gifts including chocolate, alcohol and other fun (yet cheap) things! as can be seen in the photo below.

(Nixon,2017)

In the end the quiz was a massive quiz with our company raising over £100! Minus away the costs for the prizes leaving us with an overall profit of 88.90 to put towards our show! A massive thank you to everyone who came along and joined in! you were a joyful crowd! and congratulations to our friends in the theatre company ‘Kick a pigeon’ who came first place!

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor

(Nixon, 2017) – Kick a Pigeon Theatre Company- The winners!

Here is a photo of Fragment Theatre Company at the quiz! And look we even got matching T-shirts!

(Chattaway, 2017)

Citations

Chattaway, A. (2017) Fragment theatre company group photo: The Swan Pub

D’Arcy. H. (2017) Fragment theatre poster: University of Lincoln library.

Nixon, E. (2017) Fragment Theatre Company, quiz prize: The University of Lincoln, Minerva Building

Seabright, J. (2010) So you want to be a theatre producer? London: Nick Hern Books limited.